CHEESE SPÄTZLE COVERED WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS MAKE A WONDERFUL MEAL, ALL BY ITSELF OR SERVED AS A SIDE THAT FITS TO ALMOST ANYTHING!
Cheese Spätzle is a traditional German way of serving this favorite German noodle. Using either the homemade recipe or store-bought noodles, the resulting dinner is delicious. Follow my recipe below to serve them in a delicious cheese spätzle casserole. It’s German “Mac & Cheese” only better! Really.
Oma’s Cheese Spätzle ❤️
- 3 – 4 cups cooked Spätzle (12 oz. dry Spätzle)
- 2 – 3 cups shredded Emmentaler cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter (or olive oil)
- 2 small onions (sliced)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Heat butter (or oil) in skillet and sauté onions until tender and lightly browned, about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Butter casserole dish. Begin by layering with ½ of the Spätzle, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with ½ of the cheese. Repeat, ending with the cheese.
- Top with the sautéed onions.
- Bake, uncovered, about 20 – 30 minutes, or until bubbly and slightly browned on top.
- makes 4 – 6 servings.
- Try this with Cheddar or Jarlsberg cheeses or a combination of the two.